Black Lives Matter | Thoughts



Hello there 

Can you believe it’s already August, where did the time go?
It feels like I didn’t accomplish anything this year that was initially planned.
But I have come to peace with the fact it’s ok to just take care of yourself during quarantine and not have to learn a new skill or language haha.
I thought I would change it up a bit on this blog and believe this topic needs attention.
It has taken me sometime to write how I feel about this situation, as I don't want to offend but pass on some of my experiences to those who may have never been exposed to any forms of racism. 
In turn I am open to gaining more knowledge and educating myself further to be and do better!

As you all I’m sure are aware, there has been a lot of noise around the injustice towards black people in the US. 
This is unfortunately something I knew was happening but wasn't sure how I could help from all the way on the other side of the world.
Then it got me thinking about how the Aboriginal people in Australia were treated when the British invaded their land.
It was taken away from them by force through genocide and then their children taken away from their families to be taught what being 'civilised' meant. 
This also tarnished their culture and eventually through time some of their native languages were lost.
There is still a long way to go as the opportunities presented to Aboriginal people in their communities need to be reviewed 

The effects of the past are still evident today and there is still a long way to go for change to occur.


I thought I would add the above videos one being about systemic racism and the other about work opportunities for Aboriginal people. I found both interesting and something I believe is worth listening to.
It just goes to show there is still along way go and we can do better.

As someone who has brown skin and is living in western society despite how multicultural it is, I too have been a target of racial comments while in high school.
It truly baffles me that the colour of someone's skin can be seen as a flaw in someone's eyes, something that they're unable to change and have no control over.
This is not ok.
I felt it was beneficial to educate myself further on the racism that is prevalent in our society, whether it be intentional or stated unknowingly.
 In turn, it is important to educate the people around us on things that are said which could have been stated with the desire to compliment you but perhaps went around it the wrong way.

For instance, while I am at work I speak to a lot of customers and they always comment on my name since it's unique. 
This then leads to them commenting on my accent and how it sounds Australian, followed by "you speak really well for someone who wasn't born here".
It left me confused on wether I take this as a compliment or not, as on the one hand I am glad I can speak so well. On the other hand, is that just an assumption made by a stranger based on where I am from?

Also, I just wanted to point out by no means does my experience compare to what is happening in the US or what the Aboriginal people have endured, but racism does stem from small comments if they aren't corrected as it's purely based on assumption. 

The injustice that is endured for people of colour runs deep through misperceptions, judgements and the unwillingness to understand their situations.
My only hope is for those to use their privilege for good and be open to conversations to better our communities and be willing to educate themselves.

The above link has a range of petitions you're welcome to sign and further educate yourself on :)

Change takes time but it will come with persistence! 

Let me know your thought's on this topic in the comments, I am open to learn and have a conversation:)


Lots of Love,
Nrutya 

Comments

Popular Posts