Mental Health in the time of Covid-19



Mental Health is something that a lot of people tend to shy away from having a conversation about.

In times like these where a virus sweeping the world has affected the livelihood of majority of the population it can take a toll on yourself and in turn others around you.

Even having a conversation with others can seem ineffective and the approach feels like a band aid option. However, opening up to someone you trust and you know will listen to how you feel can be liberating. 

Some of the things that have helped me cope when I tend to get in my head a lot and just need a means to escape is writing in a journal.

This has worked for me but may not be your go to for coping. I find when I am by myself with no one to talk to I always overthink about certain situations. It may not even have happened yet or wont even happen in the near future, but got to love my mind making up scenarios to leave me anxious. 

Whenever I find myself overthinking about certain topics I write down my thoughts in a journal, as if my thoughts are leaving my brain and spilling on to the page. Once I have jotted down how I feel I close the book and walk away. It is truly therapeutic and feels like you have had the opportunity to vent.

Another, thing that helps me cope is listening to music which I find relaxing and great to unwind. I even go for walks with my dog while listening to music to clear my head, especially if you have been cooped up in the same environment for a long period of time. Music has a way of transporting to you to another world where you can forget about your problems for some time and it’s ok to turn off the real world for a while. 

This is also similar to reading a book where you can transport yourself into another world and live vicariously through the characters in the book. I know some of you can relate to this because I tend to do this haha.

Finally, just doing something out of your routine can also be a mood booster. Perhaps chatting with a friend over Skype or FaceTime for instance about things that are going on in your life can be a good change. It can truly be exhausting being around the same people constantly and may find yourself arguing about pointless things. 

Even just working out while listening to your music of choice can allow your mind to focus on something else other than things that make you anxious. It is easier said than done to keep yourself motivated in a time where uncertainty is quiet high and your normal routine may be disrupted. However, focusing your attention onto something else can be a relief from constantly thinking about the stresses of life which can take a toll on our mental health. 

These are some of the things that help me cope when I notice my mental state is affected and just needs a boost of serotonin. However, if you do feel yourself struggling a lot more seeking help from a therapist or a counsellor could also be effective. You don’t have to feel embarrassed if you need to take that extra step to heal as we are all humans and it’s perfectly fine to seek help when needed. 

 As a final note, remember you’re not a burden and your problems are valid. 


Lots of love,

Nrutya

Comments

Popular Posts